Importing data into Propertybase properly is one of the most important steps in being able to take full advantage of the CRM system. You want to ensure that your data is correctly inserted and that data formatting is maintained.
At the bottom of this page you can find 2 CSV templates that have been prepared and are import ready.
All that is needed is to substitute your data in the template.
Each template is used for a specific record type of contacts.
Company contacts will need to be imported separately from individual clients.
For a more in depth on the differences of these see the managing Contacts article.
The following are the steps needed to prepare a CSV file for import if additional information needs to be added to the templates.
- Organize and create all necessary custom fields to match your legacy system data. To learn more about creating fields more in detail, please visit: Create fields and place them on your Page. *All fields that in the CSV file will need to be added to the page layout.
- Create a report with all of the fields that need to be mapped to your legacy system data. Then save and export it to Excel (.XLS) format. Simply navigate to the 'Reports' tab and create a new report based on the object you wish to import into. Then use the Report Builder to drag and drop all the fields to be imported into the report. Run and Save the report. Check to see if the report contains all data and finally use the Export button to have a copy of the report saved to your computer in Excel format. For more information on building reports please see Reporting for Managers
- Add all data to Excel template. Verify all field formats. Save template as a CSV file.
- The Exported data will contain the correct headers for import so all you have to do is copy and paste your data from your legacy system into this template
- Having the correct format for each field type is KEY to ensure that your file is properly uploaded to Propertybase.
- Last Name – This field is required when importing a contact.
- Picklist Fields – All values within your CSV must already be in Propertybase and should be identical so that data is correctly matched in the system
- Date fields – Data must be in the correct format, matching the Locale in your Propertybase org. For example if your Locale is English (United States) you will see all dates within Propertybase as: 06/25/2010 (which converts to mm/dd/yyyy when formatting in excel)
- Date/Time fields – Data must be in the correct format, matching the Locale in your Propertybase org. For example if your Locale is English (United States) you will see all date/time fields as: 1/2/2008 4:30 PM (which converts to mm/dd/yyyy hh:mm when formatting in excel.)
- Email Fields – Data in these fields must contain the @ sign plus .text, for example .com, .uk, .de etc.
- Number and Currency fields – Data must contain only numbers. No currency symbols or separators needed.
- Check boxes – Data must contain TRUE/FALSE or 0/1
- Phone Numbers - Are of type Phone and can include all text characters
- Lookup Fields – Data must contain the exact name of the record it is looking up towards. This also applies to Record Owner fields.
- When finished save file as CSV in a place you can find it easily when browsing in the Import Wizard
- In the Wizard you will also need to have column for Contact Currency set to USD, AUD or EUR for each record. Here is a full list of currencies supported.
Here is a screen shot of a basic CSV file for import of Company Contacts:
IMPORTANTIf you are importing contacts as Individual Clients (no company relation) you will need to add in the columns:
- SystemIsIndividual and set the value to TRUE for every contact that will be an individual.
- Company Name and set the value to Indvidual for every contact that will be an individual
- Company Record Type must contain tge ID of your Individual Client Record Type
To do this you will need to go to
Setup > Customize > Contacts > Record Type > Individual Client.
Then in the URL of the page you will find the ID of the record type: